THE CHARACTERISTICS OF A CHAPLAIN
1.ALL ABOUT JESUS.
A chaplain must be Jesus- centred, gospel- focused, mission-minded, and community-oriented. (Colossians 1:15 ) All things are from Jesus, through Jesus, to Jesus and for Jesus. The bible is all about Jesus. The gospel is all about Jesus. Life is all about Jesus. Once again, CHAPLAINCY is all about Jesus.
In the same way, it is crucial that a chaplain is all about Jesus in mind, body, spirit and strength. (Mark 12:30-31)
- Every aspect of a chaplain’s life must be about Jesus, for the glory of God and the good of others.
NOTE: A chaplain’s character, mission and message must be all about Jesus. A chaplain must know the gospel and be able to articulate the gospel well.
(Matthew 5:13-14) integrity is all about wholeness. A chaplain must be the same publicly as he/she is privately.
- People are counting on you to be the real deal not (fake). People are counting on you to follow Jesus in action, thoughts and words.
NOTE: Integrity occurs when your actions, thoughts and words match up to each other, which is the gospel and God’s word. Integrity can only come from a true daily walk with Jesus.
KEYS TO INTEGRITY
- Complete trust in Jesus.
- Daily time in God’s word.
- Living by the Spirit, open confession of mistakes.
- Followed by true repentance and a return to Jesus.
A chaplain must be able to put the physical, emotional, psychological and spiritual needs of others above his/her own in order to lead them to Jesus and glorify God.
The question is not, “are you SERVING?” but, “are you a SERVANT?”
- Chaplains must be willing to serve in a way that is unexplainable.
NOTE: You can tell whether or not you’re a servant by how you act when you are treated like one.
- KEYS TO SERVING
- Remember it’s all about Jesus.
- Consider that you’re serving (or lack thereof) is either pointing people to Jesus or leading them away from Him.
- Ask others how you can serve them.
- If you want to go fast, go alone, if you want to go far, go together. (African proverb).
A chaplain must remember that we are better together.
NOTE: Take all the help you can get and give all the help you can give.
- KEYS TO TEAM WORK
- Identify others who are passionate about Jesus.
- Listen to those who express an interest to help.
- Ask others to help.
A chaplain must always give his/her best as if he/she is doing so to Jesus. (Matt 25:40)
- Excellence is about doing all things with integrity, serving and team work
NOTE: excellence is the result of being full of god’s spirit, through a daily walk with Jesus.